While I was in Japan, I had been missing bits of China. I love both cultures but more superficially, it was a bit tiring to be pinching pennies in expensive Japan than breathing easy in China. For example, it's more enjoyable to be able to eat your fill on $4 than to barely be satisfied on $9. Of course, after the build-up, my first meal back in Beijing with Daniel and Alec was a harsh reminder of all the little things that are sometimes a problem in China. We went out to get a late dinner at a chain restaurant, Zhou, which specializes in rice porridge. First, it takes a long time to get a waitress to take our order and then she informs us that they don't have any rice to go with the dishes we ordered. Rice is essential for diluting the strong flavors and heavy oils. How can a rice porridge restaurant have no rice? They must've at least had it in porridge form.
A week ago, I saw a grandmother passing me on the sidewalk wearing an over large cheap white t-shirt with "I (heart) Myspace" screened on the front. I can't imagine where it came from.
The Olympics were worrisome at first with fears of terrible crowds, high prices, and excessive security. But it turned out pretty well. I was mostly disappointed that the equestrian events were in Hong Kong and I was never able to watch them on TV or online. I do love watching horses. Overall, I am not fond of the Olympics since they seem to be more about making certain sponsors rich or fostering nationalism than they are about creating goodwill and peace on Earth. However, it was amazing to see so many sharp, well-behaved volunteers.
The photos show the variation in air during the Olympics. It's not necessarily all smog, a lot of it is the usual haze you get with warm, muggy weather. But it's not always pretty.
No comments:
Post a Comment