Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Delhi Day 2

Zaq and I spent the day running errands. We managed to find the Kyrgyzstan embassy but they are on holiday. I'm not sure if there's a holiday in either Kyrgyzstan or India that the embassy should be celebrating.

Delhi is better than I remember it, perhaps because the weather is pleasantly cool. There are trees lining most of the streets, offsetting the dust from the partially excavated brick sidewalks. There is a lot of construction everywhere, creating a bit of disarray but still a positive sign that there is money to be spent on improvements. Construction work is slow in India, I'm not sure why. I often see people standing around chatting or sleeping on a patch of grass, at the construction sites or near fields. Sometimes it is difficult to determine who is a worker because they wear no uniform and there don't seem to be bosses or managers around.

Here, workers don't mix cement in a bucket, they dump the dry cement into a pile and pour water in the center, making a bowl of the extra dry cement and mixing wet cement in the middle. Saves on having a bucket or a wheelbarrow.

No comments: